Quick User Guide
Through the use of a VR headset (Oculus Rift or HTC Vive), Leap Motion device, and a VR-ready computer, we deliver novel learning tools for medical education and training.
If you purchased your equipment based on our recommended VR kit, this section will explain how to assemble your new VR gear.
1. Organize cables inside Techflex cable sleeving
The Techflex sleeve will protect and organize the Oculus Rift & Leap Motion cables, preventing tangled cabled or pulling on connected devices. All three cables coming from the Oculus Rift and the Leap Motion will fit inside the sleeve for a snug fit. This step is highly recommended for scenarios where the headset is being set up frequently.
1. Measure and cut the Techflex cable sleeve to 15ft.
2. Feed the 15ft USB 3.0 type A to Micro B all the way through the Techflex sleeve by bunching up the sleeve and pushing the cable through the opening. The USB type A connector will stick out one end of the sleeve while the Micro-B (connects to the Leap Motion on the front of the Oculus Rift headset) will stick out of the other end.
3. Repeat the procedure with the Oculus Rift cable which splits into two smaller cables (USB 3.0 type A & HDMI). Feed the two Oculus Rift connectors (USB 3.0 type A & HDMI) starting on the same end of the sleeve where the USB Micro B connector is sticking out.
Note: It may be easiest to complete this task with two people.
2. Attach Leap Motion to Oculus Rift
Follow the directions provided by Leap Motion in the video.
The native orientation of the Leap Motion has the USB connector on the right side of the headset.
The software has auto-orient tracking if it is attached with the USB connector on the left side but this may cause upside-down hands occasionally.
Download and install Leap Motion Orion software
3. Setup Oculus Rift
Follow the directions provided by Oculus Rift in their getting started guide.
Choose Rift or Touch configuration depending on your equipment.
You will need your Rift remote during the headset setup process but not while using the Embodied Labs application.
4. Replace Oculus face pad with VR Cover
Although this accessory is not required, we highly recommend it for good hygiene practices. The leather pad can be cleaned easily with a disinfectant wipe.
5. Software Setup
A private link will be provided to download our software.
- Download the file.
- Click on the file to install the software on the computer. An Embodied Labs icon will appear on the desktop of the computer when the install is complete.
- Type in the school code or login information provided after completing the software purchase.
All of the experiences that have been installed will appear in the “Installed” category.
As new content becomes available, it will appear in the “Downloads” section.
- Click “Open” to begin an experience.
- A description of the experience appears in the intro section.
- A few instructions pages appear before entering the experience.
Note: For any troubleshooting issues related specifically to your computer, please refer to the hardware device’s troubleshooting guides. For issues or questions related to running Embodied Labs’ software, see below.
Problem: My computer turns off or lags during the experience.
- Solution: The computer must be plugged into a power source to run the full immersive experience.
Problem: The program will not install correctly.
- Solution 1: Repeat the installation process again.
- Solution 2: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help to solve the issue within the next business day.
Problem: There is a big black spot in the middle of the screen, and/or it is blurry.
- Solution 1: In the Alfred Lab, the black spot simulates age-related macular degeneration and the peripheral blur simulates normal vision where only the object that is being looked at directly is in focus. It is not an error in the software.
- Solution 2: If the head straps on the Oculus Rift are not properly tightened, it may cause more blurring than is normal. Tighten the straps on the top and the sides to fix this.
Note: For any troubleshooting issues related specifically to your Leap Motion, please refer to their troubleshooting guide.
Problem: I cannot see my hands when I put them up in front of me.
- Solution 1: Check that the Leap Motion USB cable is plugged into the computer and the Leap Motion controller.
- Solution 2: Restart the computer.
Problem: My hands are upside down when I put them up in front of me.
- Solution: Restart the computer leaving everything plugged in.
Please review ALL safety information and warnings included with the Oculus Rift headset and Leap Motion packaging before using the Embodied Labs software.
The medical information explicitly or implicitly given or conveyed by using Embodied Labs software is not to be used or relied on for any diagnostic or treatment purposes. This information is does not create any patient-physician relationship, and should not be used as a substitute for professional diagnosis and treatment. Please consult your healthcare provider before making any healthcare decisions or for guidance about a specific medical condition.
Embodied Labs, Inc. is not responsible for not will be held liable for any malfunction of hardware components of this kit, nor will be held responsible or liable for any damages that occur as the result of proper or improper use of the hardware or software included in this kit.
Refer to our Privacy and Terms policy for more information.