For the best VR experience, Embodied Labs software requires a tethered VR headset, high-performance computer, and leap motion controller.
1. VR Headset
2. VR-Ready Computer
- OS: Windows 10 64 bit
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD Radeon R9 290 or greater
- CPU: Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
- Memory: 8GB+ RAM
- Video Output: Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
- USB Ports: 3x USB 3.0 ports plus 1x USB 2.0 port
See recommended list and Q&A section below for different VR-ready computers.
3. Leap Motion Controller
Embodied Labs incorporates powerful hands-free tracking technology with Leap Motion sensors to enhance the embodiment and experience in our labs.
Recommended VR Kit
- View the Q&A section below for links to all compatible hardware and acessories.
- Click on the buttons to view our recommended list on Amazon or download a pdf version.
VR Hardware Q&A
Question: Does Embodied Labs software only run on the Oculus Rift?
- Answer: Our software runs on the Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive. It does not run on Samsung Gear, Google Daydream, or any other headsets at this time.
Question: Should I purchase a laptop or desktop computer? Laptops are more expensive!
- Answer: If you plan to use your equipment for training or presentations in different locations, we highly recommend investing in a laptop. If you are sure your equipment will stay set up in one place, you could purchase a desktop computer and save some money.
Question: Which computers are compatible with Embodied Labs VR software?
- Answer: You will need a VR-ready computer with a graphics card that is an NVIDIA GTX 1060 or higher. Oculus lists computers compatible with the Rift on their website; HTC lists computers that are compatible with the Vive on their website as well.
Note: we only guarantee that the computer in the recommended VR kit list above will fit the Pelican Air case also in the list.
Question: Why do I have to have the Leap Motion device?
- Answer: At this time, The Alfred Lab requires the use of the Leap Motion controller to project your own hands into the VR live action experience and interact with objects. In the future, we may also support Oculus Touch and HTC Vive controllers.
Question: Do any other carrying cases work with the hardware you recommend?
- Answer: Please refer any questions about fit and size to the manufacturers of the hardware or accessories. Embodied Labs only recommends what has worked well for us in the list above – we are unable to advise you about other company’s products.
Question: Do I have to buy the recommended accessories?
- Answer: The only required items are marked required on the list above. The other accessories are ones that we recommend that you purchase so that your users and those in charge of setting up and maintaining your hardware are able to have the best, easiest, and most efficient experience possible.